Systematic excavations, conducted since 1999 by the University of Rome “La Sapienza” in collaboration with the Soprintendenza Archeologica of Naples and Caserta and the Municipality of Mondragone (Caserta), have allowed us to explore a cave in the area of Roccia S. Sebastiano on southern slope of Mount Massico containing an important deposit with abundant fauna, characterized by horse idruntino, deer, uro, suede and more rare, wild boar, wolf, fox, and stone industries in flint, limestone and quartzite. The site is attributed to the final stage of the Gravettian and the Mousterian, with C14 dating between 24,000 -39,000 years ago.
- Programme Dates: - from 18th July to 8th August
- Application deadline: April 1, 2013
- Programme fees: 1850 €. Fees include: housing, meals, seminars and workshops, excavation and laboratory equipment, excursions and other activities, administrative costs, application fee. International travel to/from Italy is not included in these fees and is the students’ sole responsibility. To reserve a space, you must pay a 100 € application fee. The remainder of the fee (1750 €) must be paid after the application deadline (April 1, 2013) and before April 14, 2013. In case of cancellation of the Field School, the amount paid will be refunded in full.
- Apply here!
- Certificates iussued: Students will receive an attendance certificate at the end of the Field School course. The Institute is a training organization recognized by the MIUR (Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research), but is not a degree-granting institution and it cannot offer credits for participation in the program. Credits generally can be obtained directly from the participant’s home institution through discussion with department faculty and administrative staff (e.g., Registrar’s office). The Institute provides supporting documentation upon successful conclusion of the program.
About the excavation (for further details see the Brochure R. S.Sebastiano 2013)
- Scientific direction: Prof. Marcello Piperno
- Coordinator of the rechearch: Dott. Carmine Collina
The site of Roccia San Sebastiano offers a high level of professional training thanks to our experienced researchers: systematic excavation, laboratory activities, techniques of precautionary restauration, seminars of Paleoanthropology, Archeozoology, Paleontology, Lithic technology and Paleolithic Art.